- Small Eggplant / Brinjal – 8
- Coriander seeds – 1 1/2 tbsp
- Bengal gram / Channa dal – 2 tsp
- Urad dal – 1 tsp
- Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp
- Coconut – 3 tbsp
- Red Chillies- 4 to 5 (according to spice level)
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – 3tbsp
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves – a few
- Asafoetida – a pinch
|Indian Stuffed Eggplant Fry|
- Take very little oil in a pan and fry cumin seeds, followed by red chillies, bengal gram, urad dal, coriander seeds and coconut.
- Add the salt and grind them to powder.
- Cut the tip of the brinjals and split them into four parts almost till the end leaving the bottom part of the brinjal.
- Stuff the masala powder in the brinjal.
- Heat little oil in a wide pan add the mustard seeds, curry leaves and asafoetida.
- Then put the brinjals one by one in the pan and cover it with a lid for 5 minutes in low flame.
- Repeat the procedure for all the four sides of the brinjal.
- Finally keep the brinjals in vertical position. Cover and cook them for 5 minutes in low flame.
- When turning each side, add very little oil to each brinjal.
- Remove the lid and check if the brinjals have become completely soft.
- Serve hot with sambar rice or rasam rice.
Preparation time: 40 minutes
Yield: 2 servings
Spice level: 4