These delicious fish cakes are a cross between traditional Thai fish cakes and breaded variety, we've all come to know and love. Since I like both, I created a recipe of fish cake that comes close to what you might find on one of our restaurants in North American. These fish cakes are crustted with a crispy coating outside, while the inside is moist and so delicious that you can imagine! Great to make as a special meal at night of the week.
- 1 / 2 tabsp. soup. chile powder
- 1 / 2 teasp. shrimp paste
- 1 / 2 teasp. brown sugar
- 1 / 3 teasp. ground cumin
- 1 / 4 teasp. ground coriander
- 1 + 1 / 2 to 2 cups of bread crumbs (I prefer panko bread crumbs)
- 1 inch piece of galangal or ginger grated firms
- 1 pound (0.454 kg) of white fish fillets
- 1 red chili, sliced or 1 / 2 teasp. crushed dried chile
- 2 tabsp. fish sauce
- 3 teasp. good quality coconut milk (not "lite")
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3 green onions, sliced
- About 1 cup of oil for high temperature frying
- 6 Kaffir lime leaves, cut into thin strips with scissors
- For Sweet Basil & Chili Mayo
- 3 teasp. Thai sweet chili sauce (available in supermarket),
- 3 teasp. handful of mayonnaise, fresh basil
- Rinse and dry fish (if using frozen fish, more humid so be sure to dry and you can). Cut into pieces and place in a food processor or large chopped foods.
- In bowl combine coconut milk, fish sauce, shrimp paste, chili powder, cumin, ground coriander and sugar cane. Stir with a fork to combine, pour over the fish processor.
- Add remaining ingredients (lime leaf strips, green onions, galangal, ginger, garlic and pepper). Pulse to create a thick paste.
- Pat the dough into cakes (2-3 cm in diameter and about 1 cm thick) and put a clean plate. Tips: If the dough is too moist, it can easily take shape cake, add a little 'flour and stir bread crumbs. As you continue to make cakes, helps to wash your hands occasionally to prevent the pasta sticking.
- Mounting plate of cake in the refrigerator for 10 minutes at the company. Meanwhile, pour the crumbs into a bowl type. Break egg into another small bowl and beat with a fork brifly. You can also prepare the mayonnaise and the pan.
- Remove cake from refrigerator. Dip the cakes first in egg, then roll in breadcrumbs. Set on a plate beside the stove.
- Pour oil into a small frying pan or wok (at least an inch deep.) Heat oil over medium-high heat until breadcrumb sizzles and cooks at once fell. Carefully place cakes in hot oil, frying reducing heat just above average. Fry until golden, turning in the oil with tongs. Drain on paper towels.
- In a small bowl, mix equal parts of sweet chili sauce and mayonnaise (or adjust to taste). Thinly slice up a few basil leaves and mix them in Serve the fish with mayonnaise cake immediately and ENJOY!