- 2 cardamoms
- 4 cloves
- 1" cinnamon stick
- 2 medium onions
- 1" root ginger
- 1tsp turmeric powder
- 250g tomatoes
- First make the kofta mixture - peel and roughly chop onion and ginger, split and remove seeds from green chilli and place all ingredients for the koftas along with the salt in a food processor.
- Blitz for two minutes to blend the ingredients.
- For the sauce - finely chop onions, grate the ginger, and peel, de-seed and chop tomatoes. Set aside.
- Shape the meat mixture into small balls, about the size of a walnut and shallow fry in hot oil until coloured but not cooked through.
- Remove koftas from pan, turn the heat down low, and make the sauce in the same pan.
- Toss whole spices into the hot oil, and after a few seconds add the finely chopped onion.
- Stir fry until onions turn colour, then add ginger, turmeric and tomatoes to the pan.
- Continue frying for a further five minutes, or until the tomatoes take on a rich deep colour.
- Pour in about 250ml hot water, bring to a simmer and return koftas to the pan along with any meaty juices.
- Season with salt and simmer for about twenty minutes, or until the koftas are tender.
- Serve hot with boiled basmati rice.