- 900g/2lb Lean Steak, (Sirloin or Rump) about 12mm/½ - inch thick
- 3 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 large Onions, chopped
- 1 teasp finely chopped Garlic
- 1 x 400g/14oz tin chopped Tomatoes
- ½ teasp Ground Cumin
- 1 teasp Salt
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan, add the onions and garlic and cook over a medium heat for about 5 minutes until the onions are soft and transparent.
- Add the tomatoes, cumin and salt, mix well, reduce the heat to low and cook uncovered, for about 30 minutes, stirring often, until the tomato juices evaporate and the sauce becomes thick.
- 15 minutes before the end of the cooking time, preheat the grill to hot, place the steak on the grill pan and cook under the grill for 5 minute on each side.
- Remove from the grill and cut into pieces about 12mm/ ½ -inch long and 6mm/ ¼ -inch wide then add the strips of beef to the sauce, mixing well.
Traditionally served with plantains, black beans and rice.