How To Make Sopa de Guineo, Colombian Guineo Soup Recipe

This guineo soup is one of my mom’s favorites. Since I’ve lived in the United States, I have yet to see guineos, until this past week that is. I went to the local supermarket a few days ago and as always, I went to the international vegetable and fruit aisle to look for new stuff. Anyway, you could imagine how I felt when I saw guineos with a little sticker on them that said “from Colombia”. I experienced pure joy and I wanted to by a case, just in case I couldn’t find them again for another nine years.

You may be asking yourself, what are guineos? Well, they look like small green plantains, yet they are less starchy. They are also known as unripe bananas, and to me, they are a mix between green bananas and green plantains. This vegetable is used in Latin American cuisine in many different ways. This recipe is just one example. I hope you have an easier time finding guineos than I did so that you too can enjoy this wonderful vegetable.

Ingredients:
    Sopa-De-Guineo
  • 1 1/2 pounds pork ribs, cut into pieces
  • 8 cups water
  • 6 guineos, peeled and cut into chunks
  • 2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
  • 1/2 cup chopped onion
  • 2 garlic cloves
  • 2 scallions, chopped
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro


Directions:
  1. Place the onion, garlic, scallions and ¼ cup of the cilantro in the food processor.
  2. Place a pot over medium-high heat. 
  3. Add the water and pork ribs, bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium- low. 
  4. Add the onion mixture salt and pepper and let it simmer for 25 minutes.
  5. Add the guineo, potato and ground cumin, cover and cook for 45 minutes more or until the pork is cooked.
  6. Add the remaining cilantro and serve.
4 Servings

No comments:

Post a Comment

Home - About - Privacy Policy - Disclaimer - Contact Us || Baby Cribs